Managing Anxiety Related Conditions
How can Counselling help with Anxiety Related Conditions?
Anxiety related conditions can manifest themselves in many ways. While a typical response to threatening situations includes anxious feelings, they can also produce un-pleasant side effects including sweating, tension, panic and unusual or avoidant behaviours. These side effects can then impact your daily life, stopping you from doing the things you would like to do.
Conditions relating to anxiety include:
- OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- GAD – Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Trichotillomania (hair pulling)
- PTSD / Trauma
- Stress at Work
- Health Anxiety
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder / Body Image
- Low Self Esteem
Counselling and psychotherapy can help by tackling the root causes of the anxiety and help you to develop strategies to manage them. I will work with you to understand the cause, develop stress reduction tools and ways that you can achieve healthier lifestyle patterns.
Often it can take time to achieve these and to understand the potential barriers to improvement. I will work with you to develop a personal recovery plan. Helping to develop techniques for the longer term, that will identify the risk of slipping back into old, destructive, behaviours I will provide a tool box of techniques to support you.
The counselling process can benefit you by:
- Giving you the chance to explore the underlying causes
- Examine those aspects that contribute to your high stress levels
- Learn to identify and understand what triggers the stress
- Develop your own more healthy coping strategies to manage stressful situations
- Create the tools and techniques that can work for you in the long term